After matching/merging my people I found that many people had NUMEROUS Residence facts and these facts were linked with census records that weren’t even closely related to the location or people that they were attached to. Oh my! After further investigation I figured out that there was one record for each census year that held all of these links. This was not what I expected but I figured out how to fix it.
- Open the source citation and copy the place and ‘record for…’ info over to a text file so that you can easily find the source citation.
- Go to Sources, find the source citation (using the info you copied to the text file) and delete the source citation.
- Recreate the source citation for the family you just deleted.
- Merge all of the remaining facts – this is going to take even more time. ARGH!
I am also going through each of my Ancestry Sources to make sure that they aren’t old. When I open the source citation it should have a link in the bottom left-hand corner that says ‘View Source Online’. If it doesn’t have this then I rerun the search/merge so that the source citation is current and saved in the correct place.
Note: This process took a lot longer than I thought it would. I’m not sure if I will do it again.
Recommendation: I recommend that you don’t merge the sources when merging people. Run your own sources – it’s cleaner.