FindaGrave has recently been upgraded and updated. Along with that is a cleaner, shorter URL. Many of my Sources reference FindaGrave.com Memorial Pages and it is nice to clean these up – a great clean up project for the new year!
Most of my FindaGrave URL citings are for Obits. If you haven’t entered Obits this way you may wish to skip below for directions on how to search and replace the URLs.
Note that I use my own Source Citation formating instead of the Evidence Explained as I believe in keeping things as simple as possible. For Obits I create a Source Title that looks like this:
-Obit-DOE, Jane (Smith)
- Dash: The dash is a prefix for any Sources that I add as opposed to those that I have merged from Ancestry.
- LAST NAME: all CAPS, married name for females.
- First Name: mixed CAPS, given name.
- Maiden Name: for married females.
Ok, back to the URL updating… Since this is my primary use of FindaGrave URLs I will update this first and then use the Filter option to find any other occurences.
- Go to Sources and scroll down the list to where -Obit starts.
- Click on each one down the list checking the r-hand side of the page under Source Citation Information and find Web Address:
- Look for instances where the address looks like this: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=
- Highlight and paste with: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/
- Make sure there are no spaces or the address will not be clickable.
- You can make sure that the link works by clicking the Web Link button to the right of the field. It should open directly to the FindaGrave Memorial.
Once that is complete you will want to search to find any other occurences of this URL formatting.
- Filter In
- Source Information
This will produce a filtered list of People that have a Source that contains that URL. You will have to click on each person, open the Person tab, and then examine each Source to find the one that needs replacing.
Yes, my OCD is showing! It is nice to have a cleaner URL and it is also a HTTPS URL which may not matter much in the grand scheme of things but it appears that more security has been added to make FindaGrave a “safer” place to visit on the web.
Happy New Year!