Tag Archives: facts

Adding Description To Civil Facts

As I was working through and checking my SSDI Sources I have been adding Civil Facts when needed. I realized that there are also Civil Facts for many other Sources. I have decided to add a short description in each Civil Fact Description Field. The most common so far are SSDI and Marriage to which I will add “SSDI” and “Marriage” to each respective Description Field. I use Filter to find Civil Facts with any data and then change each one in People>Tree tab.

Yes, this is an extra step but I think it will help distinguish between Civil Facts when you aren’t able to see the Source Citations. It would be nice if this happened automatically but I’m not holding my breath. What do you think? Good idea or extraneous? I’m going to continue but I might possibly change my mind down the road.

Update: I have decided to change “SSDI” to “SSN issued” to more accurately reflect what the Civil Fact represents. I will probably add a description to all Residence Facts as well and will be on the lookout for other Facts that need a description as well.

 

 

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Merging 2 Facts with Different Description Fields

When you find that you have 2 Facts that need to be merged, but they both have a different Description Field you can combine them after you do a little manual copy and paste. Choose one of the Descriptions, it doesn’t matter which one, then copy/paste it into the other Fact’s Description Field and separate them with a semicolon. Now you can R-Click on one fact and do a “Merge Duplicate Facts”. Nice and tidy.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fixing WWII Draft Reg Source Citation Facts

I have put in a request for Web Merge to utilize full dates when available as opposted to just a year. Here is an example. You can see the Residence Fact shows a year of 1942. If you look at the Citation Text field you will see a full date of 16 Feb 1942. That is the date I want to use because it will then sort in chronological order with other Facts  much better. In my opinion, more exact is always a better thing when it comes to dates.Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 10.44.59 AM.png

Here is how I fixed my 125 Source Citations:

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fixing US Dept of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Facts

When I do a Web Merge of US Dept of Veterans Affairs BIRLS it usually creates 2 Facts. One is a Military Fact and it uses the Enlistment Date but “Enlistment Date” does not appear anywhere in the Fact Details. The 2nd is uses the Release Date but again, the Fact does not properly reflect where the info comes from. This Fact also merges as “Unspecified Fact”. To make my Facts as clear as possible I add “Enlistment Date 1” and “Release Date 1” to the Fact Details. I also change Unspecified Fact to Military Fact. I hope that Ancestry and FTM will improve the merge/mapping of this Fact in the future.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

How many FindaGrave Matches Do You Have?

I have been a member of FindaGrave.com for about 5 years now. I created a Fact to hold FaG Memorial #s and saved the numbers for each match I found. In the beginning I didn’t worry about documenting FindaGrave and I’m kinda glad I didn’t cuz then Ancestry purchased FindaGrave and added their records to Ancestry.com. This meant that I could use Shaky Leaves to find FindaGrave records and add them easily. The only problem? I have 10,289 records to document! I really didn’t realize how many I had found but was thrilled, and I have been working hard, using Shaky Leaves to document each one. I have about 1,000 left to do. And yes, I do each one separately so that there is a record for each individual. While I am at it, I am also merging birth/death/ssn records. I am overlooking census records for now but will come back to them later. I am focusing on individual records right now.

How many FindaGrave matches have you found?

Tagged , , , ,

How To Merge Two Databases (Update)

After matching/merging my people I found that many people had NUMEROUS Residence facts and these facts were linked with census records that weren’t even closely related to the location or people that they were attached to. Oh my! After further investigation I figured out that there was one record for each census year that held all of these links. This was not what I expected but I figured out how to fix it.

  1. Open the source citation and copy the place and ‘record for…’ info over to a text file so that you can easily find the source citation.
  2. Go to Sources, find the source citation (using the info you copied to the text file) and delete the source citation.
  3. Recreate the source citation for the family you just deleted.
  4. Merge all of the remaining facts – this is going to take even more time. ARGH!

I am also going through each of my Ancestry Sources to make sure that they aren’t old. When I open the source citation it should have a link in the bottom left-hand corner that says ‘View Source Online’. If it doesn’t have this then I rerun the search/merge so that the source citation is current and saved in the correct place.

Note: This process took a lot longer than I thought it would. I’m not sure if I will do it again.

Recommendation: I recommend that you don’t merge the sources when merging people. Run your own sources – it’s cleaner.

Tagged , , , , , ,
Advertisements